Friday, January 20, 2012

My reputation goes before me

At yesterday afternoon’s Spanish class, our new teacher clearly knew exactly who I was without me telling him. He explained how I was well known for taking photographs for the town which were well liked by bigastrense. He went on to say that my contribution to local affairs was much appreciated.

I have already received praise for my work by councillors for example in this email:

Soy María José, concejala del Ayuntamiento de Bigastro, y en nombre de la Sra.Charo Bañuls y la Nueva Corporación quiero agradecerle todo el trabajo que está haciendo por este municipio, porque es un gran fotógrafo y una excelente persona. Su colaboración es primordial y esencial para nosotros, puesto que ahora más que nunca necesitamos la ayuda de las personas que como usted se prestan a colaborar, por ello quiero expresar mi más sincero agradecimiento por su gran ayuda y espero que siga colaborando con nosotros.
También me gustaría que pudiéramos ponernos en  contacto y conocernos mejor, porque,  la verdad no nos han presentado y me encantaría conocerle, porque hace un ¡excelente trabajo!

Those were very kind words which made me blush!

Down at the market yesterday, Pam and I were talking with some of our neighbours. Our discussion centred around what we found attractive about Bigastro and we came to the conclusion that it was the people. We all agreed that we have never lived anywhere before where we were made to feel so welcome and where people, who you hardly knew, went out of their way to help you. In the end, it is not smart buildings and beautifully manicured parks that count, it is the welcome you feel that is most important in the place you choose to live.

No comments: