Sunday, January 16, 2011

You never learn do you?

You would think that, at 64 I’d have the sense to read instructions before using something new. As my friend John remembered in summer, my father used to say, you might have ten GCEs (nine actually) but you haven’t got one in common sense.

Get to the point I hear you say.

Well, I bought a can of expanding polyurethane foam to do a filling job. It is marvellous stuff, a miracle of modern science, just right for what I intended to do.

Yesterday, I set out to use it, I shook the can just like it said and proceeded to squirt it into where I wanted it to go. Then I used my hands to tidy up where it had gone too far and got it all over my fingers. No problem, I wiped most off with paper towel and then went to wash the remainder off under the tap – WRONG!!!

If I had bothered to read the instructions fully on the can, I’d have seen where it says WEAR GLOVES when using this product (there was even a picture in case you could not read). If I had read further I would have come to the part where it said DO NOT CLEAN WITH WATER – use acetone.

Well I paid the price and spent the rest of the day picking off foam from my fingers. Sods law, the nail varnish remover in Pam’s bathroom does not contain acetone.

No comments: