Thursday, October 29, 2009

You knew it

All the pundits said that Windows 7 is the best thing since sliced bread but you knew that life would not be that simple. When XP was first launched, I bit the bullet and installed it only to revert back to the previous version of the operating system within a day.

I currently  have a stable working copy of Vista on my desktop and a fully functioning copy of XP on my netbook. VIsta may have given me a few headaches to start with but now it is well behaved. Just out of interest though I ran the Windows 7 compatibility check on my desktop. Whilst the hardware was all OK, there were some programs that I use that would need either updating or removing and re-installing following an upgrade. Many of my installed programs were not even mentioned. There was also uncertainty about my two printers. So for me an upgrade to Windows 7 is a big NO NO.

My decision has been vindicated. It seems from the computer press that things are not going to plan for all the early takers of the new system.

Microsoft is struggling to find answers for people whose attempt to upgrade to Windows 7 has sent their machine into an endless reboot cycle.

Reports of the problem first began appearing on Microsoft's support forum on Friday, the day after the operating system was first released. According to the complaints, Windows 7 claims the upgrade has failed and that Vista will be restored.

However, when the machine reboots it offers the same error and reboots again in an endless circle. Despite numerous reports of the problem, it seems Microsoft is still no closer to an answer and tempers are becoming frayed.

1 comment:

Pete said...

Easy to say in hindsight, but I've never performed a Windows upgrade and hopefully I never will. It's clean installs every time for me.

And yet Ubuntu upgrades its distributions beautifully.