Friday, February 29, 2008

A long and happy life in Spain

In a previous message I mentioned that there are 22 people here in Bigastro who are over 90 years of age.

It seems that in the city of Alicante there are 2,036 people who are over 90; 68 of whom have turned 100 years with eight of them over 105.

Altogether there are almost 53,000 people living in Alicante aged 65 and over which represents 16.5% of the population.

Women outlive the men by almost two to one.

Imagine if the King of Spain sent telegrams to people over 100 like the Queen does in England, he'd be worn out writing them!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

My names is Maria. I have lived in Bigastro all my life and I have just found your blog. It is quite interesting. I was surprised to find foreigners who are so interated in Bigastro. As you will know, it is not the common thing and a lot of Spaniards complain about that. Luckily I have been teaching Spanish for ove five years and I have known there are a lot of people interested in learning about Spanish culture and history as well as our way of life.
So, congratulations for your blog and please keep on telling people about our little town. Hope to meet you some day.

Regards,

Maria